Water Polo Injuries


In the sport of water polo, injuries arise very easily. The only protection the players have is a cap, with plastic coverings for their EARS. The rest of their body is their own responsibility to protect. Simple injuries are, sunburn, in the sport of water polo only a small amount of sun block is allowed. If a player were to use too much sun block, he would be slippery giving him an advantage over other players. Meaning these players sometimes practice daily without any protection from the sun, it doesn't seem like a big injury, I understand, but in their future's they could be affected greatly because of this rule. The major injuries that occur, are in their shoulders, if a player has not warmed up properly they could pull their muscles and be out for a whole season.


Other injuries are broken ribs from other players kicking and punching them underwater. Broken arms and fingers are not rare in the sport, since the other players will kick them quickly and swim away; there would be no way to prove they did this because it happened underwater. For women, the players pull them underwater by pulling their hair, they gain an upper hand by putting their fingers up their suits, unzipping their swimsuits and it is not uncommon for them to be kneed in the back when they are being defended. For the males, the same things will occur, some players will even put their hands into the player’s suit, to pull them down and hurt them in any way they can. Kicking and punching is not against the rules, so players will kick other males in the genitals to gain an advantage.



“If I can't see the punches, then I don’t care" - South Florida Ref.

5 comments:

  1. Wow I didn't realize how many injuries could occur playing water polo. I play lacrosse and some of the injuries are bad but nothing like this. It seems like you must be so tough to put up with all that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a violent sport. I guess much can happen under water that most spectators will never see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! This is crazy. I never thought that water polo could be such a violent and dangerous sport. I mean, it's crazy how the other players can beat the crap out of you underwater, and get away with it. Personally, I think that the part that surprised the most, was that guys would hit each others genitals. I mean that's crazy, you could end up been a married guy with no children.
    Although, I've never played water polo, I do find the sport very interesting and I would like to play for the school team someday. Even though, I might have never played this sport, I do know a little about it, because I once did a research paper on water polo. So I know the basics. I really like your blog, so I hope you keep posting interesting information about this sport.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a pretty neat sport, I would have never guessed it seemed so violent though, this sport would be great for someone with anger issues

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is the relative checking up of the injuries during the ongoing matches. Since these matches involved a majority of the injuries it is essential to check up and prevent from these injuries. Kicking and punching are the major things in this game but these are not according to the law in the game, further there is a major problems in the foot and the shoulder.Richmond personal injury lawyer

    ReplyDelete